[Development] [Qt5-feedback] 3rdpart platform plugins, tests and CI

Alan Alpert alan.alpert at nokia.com
Wed Nov 2 03:15:56 CET 2011

On Wed, 2 Nov 2011 10:13:20 ext Holger Hans Peter Freyther wrote:
> To be the devils advocate: Can we have QtDeclarative and QtBase decoupled
> in a way that QtDeclarative works on a week old QtBase? a month? the one
> from the last stable/minor release? What would it mean if we can not do
> it?

I think it would be reasonable (even though not likely) to have a
QtDeclarative that builds on the last minor release. But that can only work
after the 5.0.0 release, as otherwise we cannot build a Qt 5 that actually
uses all the various improvements together. Once Qt 5.0.0 is released, it
might make sense to have qtdeclarative/master compile always against the
qtbase from 5.0.x. There will be feature development alongside qtbase 5.1, but
that could be in a different branch.

Until the first release of Qt 5 though I don't see anyway to avoid
QtDeclarative needing a 'sufficiently' recent QtBase. sync.profile implements
providing that knowledge, although we currently prefer to just always build
against master. Modularization is so far more about hope for the future than
about concrete changes now. You'll have to be patient and wait for that future
to arrive.

--
Alan Alpert
Senior Engineer