[Development] Optional Qt module dependencies (was: RE: qtsystems doesn't compile...)

Mcgovern Rohan (Nokia-MP-Qt/Brisbane) rohan.mcgovern at nokia.com
Wed Nov 2 04:04:41 CET 2011

I never said I liked the situation in qtbase :)

> Your statement holds only true if every combination would influence each other.
> qtsystems has three libraries.
> Gconf and contextkit are mutually exclusive and only apply to P&S.  Bluez and udev apply to system information only and wayland for SFW only. Jsondb is the only one applying to all.
>
> Also your 64 combinations assume that enabling Bluez related code paths would change for example gconf/contextkit code paths. In most cases enabling one doesn't change anything for the other (jsondb is just about the only exception).

So you're asserting that only certain combinations are relevant, which
is great :)  What's not so great is that they aren't defined.  For
example, we advertise "Ubuntu 10.04 x86 32-bit" as a supported platform,
not "Ubuntu 10.04 x86 32-bit with gconf, contextkit, bluez, udev and
wayland".  Does anybody even know which code paths are enabled in the
CI without going to check the logs?

> Last but not least qtsystems accumulates information from a large variety of system components. It is only natural that it has to do a few more tests than normal.

Yes this is natural. I deliberately picked a module with a lot of config
tests to make this point.