[Development] Other buildsystems

Mathias Hasselmann mathias at openismus.com
Wed Nov 2 14:42:28 CET 2011

Am Mittwoch, den 02.11.2011, 12:13 +0000 schrieb lars.knoll at nokia.com:
> On 11/1/11 7:31 PM, "ext Thiago Macieira" <thiago.macieira at intel.com>
> wrote:
>
> >On Tuesday, 1 de November de 2011 17:44:29 André Pönitz wrote:
> >> A non-optional dependency on cmake for Qt 5.0 is not acceptable from my
> >> perspective.
> >
> >Nor mine.
> >

> I'd say "no, but using the default build system is strongly encouraged".

I constantly see strong opinions against qmake, but actually that thing
is not that bad as a build system[1]. It permits compact build scripts.
It is declarative (very important IMHO). It is extensible.

Its worst problem is lack of documentation and therefore a big bunch of
inconsistent .prf files and a big bunch of lost gems
in /usr/share/qt4/mkspecs

Other than that it almost works as advertised.

So how about updating the documentation and cleaning up the mkspecs
folder instead? Surely not the most fancy job, but maybe much more
reasonable than doing things from scratch or even mixing stuff.

Ciao,
Mathias

[1] Says someone with strong roots in autotools, but fully accepting it
doesn't fit into Qt's scope.
--
Mathias Hasselmann <mathias at openismus.com>
http://openismus.com/