[Development] configure qtbase on mac os

Chris Meyer cmeyer1969+qt at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 20:05:50 CET 2011

On Sun, Nov 6, 2011 at 2:09 PM, Rohan McGovern <rohan.mcgovern at nokia.com> wrote:
> Chris Meyer said:
>> I'm configuring qtbase (Mac OS 10.6.8, Xcode 4.2, and qtbase/master)
>> using the following command:
>>
>> export QTDIR=/some/path/for/installation
>> ./configure -prefix $QTDIR -opensource -no-sql-mysql -qt-libpng
>> -qt-libjpeg -no-dbus -nomake examples -nomake demos
>>
>> After a while, I get an error that configure cannot determine
>> big-endian or little-endian.
>
> Hmm, do you get anything useful if you add -verbose to configure?

Here's the relevant section:

Determining machine byte-order...
(/Users/chris/Developer/Applications/qtbase/mkspecs/macx-g++ yes
/Users/chris/Developer/Applications/qtbase
/Users/chris/Developer/Applications/qtbase)
g++ -c -pipe -O2 -Wall -W  -I../../../mkspecs/macx-g++ -I. -o
endiantest.o endiantest.cpp
g++ -headerpad_max_install_names -o endiantest endiantest.o
strings: object: ./endiantest malformed object (unknown load command 9)
strings: object: ./endiantest malformed object (unknown load command 9)

After this I did the following shell commands:

cd config.tests/unix/endian
g++ -c -pipe -O2 -Wall -W  -I../../../mkspecs/macx-g++ -I. -o
endiantest.o endiantest.cpp
g++ -headerpad_max_install_names -o endiantest endiantest.o
./endiantest
# this resulted in "Bus error"

>> However, these options seem to be
>> required only if I'm building with the -qpa option, which should
>> default to off.
>
> Why do you think qpa should default to off?  It doesn't, it defaults to
> on.

./configure --help results in:

Installation options:

    -qpa ................ This will enable the QPA build.
                          QPA is a window system agnostic implementation of Qt.

This seems to imply that -qpa is off by default. There is no "*"
default next to it.

>> It looks like the variable $PLATFORM_MAC is not being set properly. Is
>> this something that needs to be specified on the command line or is
>> the machinery for automatically setting $PLATFORM_MAC broken?
>
> PLATFORM_MAC shouldn't be set, because that indicates an old non-qpa
> carbon or cocoa build.  qpa is the default and non-qpa paths are being
> eliminated.

Ok.