[Development] Platform / compiler support

Jedrzej Nowacki jedrzej.nowacki at nokia.com
Tue Nov 8 16:24:08 CET 2011

On Tuesday 8. November 2011 14.20.35 ext Atlant Schmidt wrote:
> Thiago:
> > Configure-time tests are very hard to write for Qt.
>
>   Just compile something that is dependent upon the
>   compiler features.
>
>   If "TestForVariadcMacros.cpp" fails to compile, the
>   user will probably figure it out! ;-)
>
>                              Atlant

It is not so easy. Qt itself sometimes have different compiler setting then
application that use Qt. It is possible that some feature are available during
Qt configure phase but not during Qt application compilation.

Good example are variadic macros in a public header. By default GCC would
compile them, without any warning. But compilation, with options --Wall --
Werror --std=C++98, of an application including the header, would fail.

So again, we have problem of features used in headers / implementation.

Cheers,
  Jędrek