[Development] Platform / compiler support

lars.knoll at nokia.com lars.knoll at nokia.com
Tue Nov 8 21:57:20 CET 2011

On 11/8/11 11:25 AM, "ext Thiago Macieira" <thiago.macieira at intel.com>
wrote:

>On Tuesday, 8 de November de 2011 11:08:04 João Abecasis wrote:
>> Thiago Macieira wrote:
>> > In reality, we won't have a major creep in of features, but over time
>>it
>> > could happen. Imagine a Q_DECLARE_METATYPE with variadic macros to
>>solve
>> > the problem of the comma in templates. As soon as people start using
>>that
>> > in their code, which would be soon, a C99 preprocessor is mandatory.
>>
>> Well, so far, no compiler has been suggested that doesn't support
>>variadic
>> macros :-)
>
>Which is good. I'm not against variadic macros.
>
>I just want to make it a conscious decision.

Yes. Making conscious and informed decisions about these things is IMO
exactly the point of the discussion here.

The problem is that we don't know which platforms Qt will be ported to in
the future. So we will need to scan the list of platforms/compilers that
are currently interesting and make an educated and conscious decision on
whether we want to leave out a certain platform or compiler. MSVC6 or
WINSCW are examples of compilers I would say we consciously decide to
never support.

Things like whether to rely on variadic macros in Qt can not be decided
without doing some research on current compilers and what they
accept/support.

Cheers,
Lars