[Development] Regular expression libraries for QRegExp

marius.storm-olsen at nokia.com marius.storm-olsen at nokia.com
Wed Nov 16 17:08:37 CET 2011

On 11/11/11 7:24 AM, "ext Giuseppe D'Angelo" <dangelog at gmail.com> wrote:

>On 11 November 2011 12:32, Robin Burchell <robin+qt at viroteck.net> wrote:
>> hi,
>>
>> On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 1:10 PM,  <lars.knoll at nokia.com> wrote:
>>> Our main issue seem to be timing then. We currently have the
>>>opportunity
>>> of changing API to some extend before we freeze down things for Qt 5
>>> again. Thus we'd need something relatively soon to be able to use it
>>>for
>>> 5.0.
>>
>> hmm, what stops us from moving QRegExp to an addon (somehow - how are
>> we going to do this e.g. with the methods in QString?) and introducing
>> new regular expressions support later? I guess it's a bit of an
>> inconvenience, but it avoids slipping everything for one feature
>
>_IF_ a consensus s reached upon going with PCRE, would it be possible
>to make a new class (... set of classes) using the UTF-8 engine, and
>upgrade it later to the UTF-16 version -- thus, getting all the
>benefits?

Yes, the implementation based on UTF-8 vs UTF-16 version of PCRE would
only differ on two lines, the UTF-16 -> UTF-8 and UTF-8 > UTF-16
conversion before and after the matching.

I suggest we get started on this with the current version of PCRE, and
hope that entices the PCRE team to work on a proper UTF-16 implementation.

Anyone interesting in jumping on this task?

--
.marius