[Development] QSystemAlignedTimer to QtCore

shane.kearns at accenture.com shane.kearns at accenture.com
Mon Nov 21 12:51:23 CET 2011

It should be used to extend the QTimer API.
Where the system doesn't support this kind of timer, then the in process solution as in Thiago's blog should be used.

Should there be a preferred interval?
For some use cases, the timer is allowed to be late but not early (e.g. supervisory timeouts) in which case preferred == minimum
Whereas for other use cases, the timer is allowed to be late or early

Out of interest, which platforms support this kind of timer? (other than symbian which isn't supported by Qt5)

Finally, when this functionality is in QtCore, then the QSystemInfo API should be replaced with a shim over the QtCore implementation.
I.E. implement a backend that uses the QTimer API and remove any OS specific backends, and mark the API as deprecated.

Subject to local law, communications with Accenture and its affiliates including telephone calls and emails (including content), may be monitored by our systems for the purposes of security and the assessment of internal compliance with Accenture policy.