[Development] Window{} API for QML

jens.bache-wiig at nokia.com jens.bache-wiig at nokia.com
Tue Nov 22 10:53:53 CET 2011

> Yes, I mean if QtQuick2 is designed to reduce memory footprint for
> non-ui applications it makes sense to keep UI components in a separate
> module. I'm just arguing that if the Window module will just contain
> the Window component, it wouldn't worth it to keep this component in a
> separate module, since there are other UI components much less useful
> like the Flipable and the Flow components.
>
> Br,
> Adriano

Yes, but the reason we are putting it in it's own import has nothing to do with memory consumption. It has to do with not exposing features in the default namespace that we later might want to remove.
Flipable and Flow are perfectly usable in your web browser or sandbox environment, but Window exposes power and functionality that we might want to remove for specific environments. Another argument is that I would rather have a full blown Window component in the QtQuick Desktop API that also exposes properties like minimumSize and window modality. And at least putting the QtQuick Window into it's own namespace makes that possible. I would prefer to just expose all of those properties on the core QtQuick window itself though.

Regards,
Jens