[Development] Unicode/i18n support

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Nov 25 11:42:22 CET 2011

On Friday, 25 de November de 2011 10:54:59 Simon Hausmann wrote:
> > At the same time I'd propose to (over time) get rid of relying on glibc,
> > windows and Mac specific APIs as much as possible. We could also remove
> > most Unicode related data tables in Qt and only keep the ones that are
> > performance relevant (text layouting relies on certain Unicode tables, and
> > it might be faster if we have inline access to these tables).
> >

> > The things ICU supports that Qt doesn't currently offer could be exposed
> > through wrapper APIs over time. That task should be a lot simpler than it
> > would be today.
> >

> > Opinions?
>
> I think it's a good idea and with my WebKit hat on I'm all for it. It'll
> simplify our code paths significantly and reduce maintenance overhead.

With your provision above for inline access to important things, I'm all for
it too.

Also note that some transformations we currently do in QString by accessing
the Unicode tables can probably be replaced by calls to ICU functions that
execute the same transformations (uppercasing, lowercasing, normalisation,
etc.)