[Development] Moving build-time tools into qtbase.git.

Stephen Kelly stephen.kelly at kdab.com
Wed Nov 30 12:20:27 CET 2011

Hi,

Currently lupdate, lrelease, qdbusxml2cpp and qdbuscpp2xml are not in the
qtbase repo, they are in qttools instead, along with designer, qdbusviewer,
linguist etc.

I don't think qttools is the right place for those build-time-useful tools.

If I want to use the QtDBus module, I want to be able to use the tools to
generate xml and c++ interfaces for dbus.

Currently qmake has some macros for that (features/dbusadaptors.prf and
features/dbusinterfaces.prf) which expect to be able to find the tools.

Those macros are in qtbase. The executables may or may not be installed. They
may even be installed to a different prefix. I am not sure if qmake actaully
checks for their existence, or looks for them, or bails out if not found.

CMake has similar macros for generating dbus interfaces and adaptors, which
I'll need to put somewhere in a Qt repo, probably alongside the tools. With
the tools in their current location, that would mean:

find_package(QtDbus) # For libQtDBus.so
find_package(QtTools) # For qdbusxml2cpp, and designer, linguist, etc.

designer and linguist don't really have anything to do with these build-time
tools. It would be much more sensible to have find_package(QtDbus) also find
the executables, but I can only do that if they come from the same repo.

For lupdate the situation is a bit more complicated because it depends on
qmldevtools, but that's solvable.

For now I'm interested in floating the general idea of putting build-time-
tools into qtbase.git instead of qttools.git. I don't know why they were moved
out in the first place, so maybe the same reason would keep them in qttools.

Thanks,

--
Stephen Kelly <stephen at kdab.com> | Software Engineer