[Development] Moving build-time tools into qtbase.git.

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Wed Nov 30 22:01:05 CET 2011

On Wednesday 30 November 2011, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 12:20:27PM +0100, ext Stephen Kelly wrote:
> > If I want to use the QtDBus module, I want to be able to use the tools to
> > generate xml and c++ interfaces for dbus.
>
> that's reasonable.
>
> On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 11:01:32AM -0800, ext Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > I don't know, however, if lupdate and lrelease can be or have been
> > bootstrapped.
>
> i don't want that. lrelease is bootstrapped since 4.6 or so, and it
> sucks (no codec support, for example). also, the code sharing between
> the linguist app and tools would add some logistical hassle when tearing
> apart them.
>
> > They should be, if possible, so they are built with the host compiler,
> > not the target one when cross-compiling.
>
> qttools is not built in x-builds at all, and as far as the linguist
> toolchain is concerned, there is absolutely no reason to

Some people may see a reason to.
Just recently I was contacted because somebody was building for ARM, doing
some things in a VM, and some things using cross compiling. Mixing both
resulted in a mess. But in such a mode (cross compile, then use the result to
build more stuff inside a VM), having lrelease etc. also built while cross
compiling makes some sense.

Which still leaves the question open whether mixing VM-based compiling and
cross compiling is a good thing or whether you should decide for one and then
stay with it.
At least it makes things more complicated.

Alex