[Development] Keep dependent projects in mind when approving changes

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Tue Oct 25 23:15:35 CEST 2011

On Tuesday, 25 de October de 2011 20.51.31, marius.storm-olsen at nokia.com
wrote:
> Hi Maintainers and Approver,
>
> Please keep in mind dependent modules when you approve and merge in
> changes which can lead to dependent projects failing. If you know that a
> commit has a risk of destabilizing other modules, please ensure that you
> are prepared to also do a fix in the dependent module, to help mitigate
> those libraries failing their CI runs.

Adding my voice to Marius's: please try to type make in every module (or the
biggest modules) if you make API changes in Qt of any kind. That's true even
for when the CI system reports everything in the public.

Most approvers trust that the author has compiled almost everything and will
not bother to check if the contribution causes such a breakage. That means if
you cause them too often, it looks bad on you.

In theory, every contributor and approver is responsible for keeping the
reference platforms working. In practice, that's very hard to do for some, who
don't have access to all of them. If you're uncertain, from the discussion
here in Munich, we recommend that you attempt a "buddy system": ask on this
mailing list if there's anyone with the missing platforms who could help you.
For that, I encourage you to create repositories on Gitorious, GitHub or
BitBucket with your own changes, so that your buddies test and report back.

And to stress the point:
- any API changes should be reviewed with the maintainer
- any permanent source-incompatible changes must be approved by Lars

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358