[Development] New feature to qstring | QString::toBool()

Frans Klaver fransklaver at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 23:33:04 CEST 2011

Hi,

On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 23:01:43 +0200, Thiago Macieira <thiago at kde.org> wrote:

> QVariant has toBool just like it has toDouble and toInt, so I think it
> makes sense to have it in QString and in QByteArray.

It makes sense from an equal-API point of view. On the other hand,
QVariant has a significantly different task than QString does -- QString
is, AFAIK, not a union replacement like QVariant is. Does it make sense to
add QString::toBool() from a basic task perspective?

> 1) document very well what is true and what isn't

Restricting the use to e.g. English only, would not be really useful when
parsing (localized) user input, although I don't think this would happen a
lot. I only know of a few cases where an end-user is expected to
explicitly type yes or no into an input field, and those are command line
tools. Wouldn't that be pretty much the only use case?

I might have overlooked things. It's getting late anyway.

> 2) make sure all three classes work the same way. If not, change them so
> that they all have toBool() const and they all operate equally.
>
> 3) add unit tests
>
> 4) ensure that QVariant::toBool calls into QString::toBool and
> QByteArray::toBool, as applicable. Note pending the commits by Jędrzej
> that are refactoring the QVariant internals.

If QString::toBool() is added, would there also be a need for something
like static QString::boolean(bool value, char format = 't')?

Cheers,
Frans