[Development] New feature to qstring | QString::toBool()

Andre Somers andre at familiesomers.nl
Wed Oct 26 09:21:41 CEST 2011

Op 26-10-2011 8:39, Frans Klaver schreef:
> On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 8:31 AM,<jan-arve.saether at nokia.com>  wrote:
>
>> Consider this code:
>>
>> bool parseOk;
>> if (str.toBool(&parseOk)) {
>>     if (parseOk)
>>         enableSuperFastRenderer();
>> }
> I think that in most, if not all cases, the parseOk argument would or
> even should be omitted (just like with QVariant):
>
> if (str.toBool()) {
>      enableSuperFastRenderer();
> }
>
> because the results will be exactly the same as your example.
>
>> then this:
>>
>> if (str == QLatin1String("true")) {
>>     enableSuperFastRenderer();
>> }
>>
>> which would you prefer?
> I ask you the same question.
IMHO, there is a big difference between a string that correctly converts
to false, and one that can not be converted to a boolean. Do you really
wish to make that difference invisible? That would not only break
symetry with QString::toInt, it would lead to an IMHO useless method.

I agree with Jan Arve on this topic. You need to have verification that
a conversion succeeded.

André