[Development] Keep dependent projects in mind when approving changes

Rohan McGovern rohan.mcgovern at nokia.com
Thu Oct 27 09:43:22 CEST 2011

marius.storm-olsen at nokia.com said:
> Hi Maintainers and Approver,
>
> Please keep in mind dependent modules when you approve and merge in
> changes which can lead to dependent projects failing. If you know that a
> commit has a risk of destabilizing other modules, please ensure that you
> are prepared to also do a fix in the dependent module, to help mitigate
> those libraries failing their CI runs.
>
> I don't have the exact case handy right now, but have been told that
> recent commits in QtBase has made other modules fail their CI runs.
>
> Given that non-Nokian personnel cannot yet see the CI results, please note
> that Nokian's need to help out a bit extra to flag the issues for others,
> until we have managed to put in place a system to expose the CI test
> results.

Just to add a bit.  Although the CI results are not publicly available
in full, it is possible to be appraised of many source-incompatible
changes by keeping an eye on changes from Qt Submodule Update Bot (
http://codereview.qt-project.org/#dashboard,1000191 ).

That bot will twice daily attempt to update qt5.git with the tip of all
modules, so most significant source breaks ought to be detected within
12 hours of submission.

Here is an example of an update attempt which succeeded on the first
try: http://codereview.qt-project.org/6795

And an example of an update attempt which took several attempts as
various source-incompatible changes were handled:
http://codereview.qt-project.org/7109