[Development] 4.8 Build failing on Mac OS 10.7 / XCode 4.2

Alexis Menard alexis.menard at openbossa.org
Sun Oct 30 11:08:07 CET 2011

2011/10/30 Thiago Macieira <thiago at kde.org>:
> On Saturday, 29 de October de 2011 09:22:07 Chris Meyer wrote:
>> I would like to call attention to the following problem which is that
>> the Qt 4.8 build fails using the latest Mac OS 10.7 / Xcode 4.2 tools.

For *your* use case. Normal and default cases work as the CI and other
reports say.

>> https://bugreports.qt.nokia.com/browse/QTBUG-20619
>>
>> Somehow the RC 1 candidates are being built... so there must be some
>> workaround. Is it possible to post the configure commands,
>> environment, and tools used to build the official 4.8 RC's?
>>
>> Also, I would hope that unilaterally closing a bug that affects a
>> primary platform (the Mac is still a primary platform, right?) with a
>> 'Won't Fix'  and closing down all discussion on the issue is a trend
>> that won't continue.

It's a primary platform but an exotic build setup.

> You're over-reacting. That just means he (the assignee) will not fix the bug.
> If he had the power to close down all discussion, your email wouldn't exist
> and I wouldn't be typing this reply right now.
>
> Also do note that comments after the bug being closed are still received just
> as they were before. You can contribute more information to the report so that
> a solution can be found.
>
>> Zeno Albisser (the one who closed the bug) made some suggestions, but
>> since the bug is closed, there is no place for developers to post
>> information about what works and what doesn't work. My first thought
>> is to turn off debug libs; but I'm guessing other developers have done
>> it already so it would be nice if the bug were to remain open so that
>> we could all benefit from trial and error until a solution is found.
>
> Sure there is: the bug report. Comments are not disabled in closed bug
> reports. It just means Zeno is no longer looking for a solution. But if you
> provide one that works for everyone...

Which I believe it is hard to find. I would have close the bug myself.
The command line option that the test case passes -arch x86 -arch
x86_64 is part of the so called "combination of command lines we can't
support". It perhaps worked before but with WebCore growing everyday
that was pure luck. Splitting the build of WebCore into two pieces so
that ranlib could work and your test case work is just stupid because
it will add complexity for us to support/implement this, and we don't
want.  In the other hand if it's that important for you, you can try
to have two builds and make a mixture of the library in one of the
framework if that's possible.

> --
>   Software Architect - Intel Open Source Technology Center
>      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
>      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

Alexis Menard (darktears)
Software Engineer
INdT Recife Brazil