[Development] New library dependencies

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Mon Oct 31 10:53:34 CET 2011

On Monday, 31 de October de 2011 10:44:16 Giovanni Bajo wrote:
> What is the policy on adding new dependencies to the Qt project?

I'd guess that the maintainer for that module approves. For qtbase.git, that's
Lars.

Importing third-party source code requires approval under the CLA too.

> To me, it seems a bad idea to add a dependency on any library unless there
> is a specific use case were it is really necessary. So adding Boost just
> because it's "cool" (for some definition is cool) doesn't look like a deal.
> It doesn't help that I specifically dislike Boost, but that's not the
> subject of this comment.

Agreed. But I know João wouldn't do that: his complaint was that we reinvent
the wheel just so we don't add the dependency. So I agree with him that if
there is an implemented solution with no ill side effects, there's no reason
not to use it.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358