[Development] Dropping the Q prefix from class names

Rick Stockton rickstockton at reno-computerhelp.com
Sun Apr 1 20:17:17 CEST 2012

I have 4 comments on these changes, and they're all negative. But first,
I THANK YOU for of enormous changes in support of Qt's future use. I
just feel that now is not the time, and have a few other points to make:

(1) dropping the prefix letter in class names, IMO, would need to have
the conversion utility written, tested, and approved as CO-REQUISITE..
And I'm not sure whether we should require both a shell-based version
AND a Windows ".exe" cersion of the converter, too.

(2) We promised a high level of BC, and this compromises that with a
pretty significant "Oh, and by the way.... we lied. All the Class names
change."

(3) As others have said, this will force ISV's source code libraries
into a two-version splits. I strongly disagree with the concept, from
another reply, that "once you modify for Qt5, you should never look
back". Qt Developers can NOT force their users to install Qt 5.x on
machines which they don't control, until Qt5 is well established. There
is a period of time, which I'll SWAG to be approximately a year, when
ISV's must continue support for Qt4 versions of their programs. (I don't
want it to end up like "Qt3Support" either, but the rest of the world
doesn't move instantly.)
This would be sort of like MSVC supporting _only_ Windows-Vista, or
_only_ Windows-7, or _only_ Windows XP. It's extremely difficult to sell
a "new Version" with poor compatibility to the "old Version". We
shouldn't put ourselves in that position, because it would probably make
Qt4 live LONGER.... rather than SHORTER.

(4) "Qt5 is going to be Revolutionary". If our goal is a Revolution,
putting all Widgets under the guillotine, then we shouldn't call it
"Qt5". It should be called some kind of "Q-New-product", at Version 1.0.

With respect and great thanks, I think that it's too early for a change
like this. It doesn't but this doesn't fly without the converter as
PreReq/CoReq-- and it SHOULDN'T fly until Qt5 is well-entrenched in the
Real World.