[Development] [webkit-qt] qtwebkit changes to qt/4.8

Simon Hausmann simon.hausmann at nokia.com
Mon Apr 2 09:22:01 CEST 2012

On Sunday, April 01, 2012 02:37:35 PM ext Kenneth Rohde Christiansen wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> We still are going to ship Qt WebKit1 API as part of the Qt5 module
> QtWebKitWidgets (I am not sure the name is final though) so it is a
> good idea to upstream I would say. Even things which are related to
> Qt4 only as the WebKit1 part should, to my knowledge, still work with
> Qt4, and who knows whether the community (or say Digia) wants to
> release a new version of QtWebKit for Qt4.
>
> Just my point of view

I agree with Kenneth. In general changes to Qt 4's WebKit should just
be backports from trunk. Ideally they're applied to the qtwebkit-2.2 branch
and then imported into src/3rdparty/webkit. The person approving the change
in Gerrit could forward-port the change to qtwebkit-2.2 on Gitorious and then
we fix the version and re-import into src/3rdparty/webkit shortly before the
next 4.8.x patch release. (This is more or less what I did for 4.8.2 now)

In this particular case the change hasn't happend upstream yet it seems, so
I agree with Girish's -1.

With regards to Qt 4 support in WebKit trunk, I think that unless somebody
steps up to care about and maintain the Qt 4 port, we should keep it around
around until Qt 5 is released and has become a viable alternative. Depending
on the quality and feedback that would ideally be Qt 5.0.0, but it could also
be a patch release or a minor release. After that point I think we should
remove Qt 4 support from trunk, unless a new maintainer is found.

Simon