[Development] V8 on iOS

aaron.kennedy at nokia.com aaron.kennedy at nokia.com
Mon Apr 2 15:02:08 CEST 2012

Hi,

On 02/04/2012, at 2:21 PM, ext Ian wrote:

> Chris,
>
> Thanks for your answer. So, the low-down is that it's not (practically)
> possible to use QML without V8, and even if V8 did have a interpreter backend,
> it would be too slow to be useable? If so, I guess I'm going to have to find a
> way to get V8 working on iOS…

V8 with an interpreter backend would probably be fine.  However, V8 doesn't have such a backend and writing one would be an enormous effort - akin to one of their architecture ports.

The key to getting V8 running on iOS will be executing writable pages.  Unless you can solve that - and in a way that keeps Apple happy if you ever want to deploy such apps - everything else will be in vein.

Cheers,

Aaron