[Development] V8 on iOS

Ian ian at mediator-software.com
Mon Apr 2 17:17:35 CEST 2012

Hmmm, so from what I understand, there may be a bytecode backend for V8 at some
point (for platforms like MIPS for example), but that work hasn't begun in any
way other than "maybe some time in the future", and even if it was decided to
implement that, it's quite some time off.

AFAIK Apple blocks what they find out about, and lets the rest pass until
someone complains or something bad happens. The big problems here are using
private APIs (they do static analysis, so there are ways around that), and
altering the application's provision (if they notice they will probably block
on that regardless of how it's been changed). They don't appear to analyse the
app at runtime, so I'm not sure how they would know about a 3rd party JIT (
apart from the provisioning). I'm not sure which actual JIT they use for their
own stuff, but I'm pretty sure it's not available outside of their webkit
implementation.

Guess the next step will be getting V8 to run at all on iOS (and finding a way
of testing it without a platform plugin)...

Thanks for the input!

(04/02/2012 14:06)