[Development] [Releasing] Qt 5.0 alpha released

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Thu Apr 5 17:01:30 CEST 2012

On quinta-feira, 5 de abril de 2012 14.50.17, marius.storm-olsen at nokia.com
wrote:
> Lars and I also discussed putting a temporary hold on staging rights for
> anyone except maintainers during the release cycle. Opinions on that
> approach?

I think it makes sense, if you can do it per branch. We need a "branch where
release will happen from", and we need some deeper control of the changes
going in. If we can do it just socially, without Gerrit changes, it would be
fine.

Without deciding now which branch that will be -- topic for another discussion
-- I expect the workflow for a release to be something along the lines of:

1) RM makes a package
2) platforms get tested, showstopper bugs get reported
3) Release Team makes a collective decision on go/no-go based on #2
4) fixes are made, targeting the release branch
5) maintainers approve those changes

The platforms that participate in the testing in 2 and fix their bugs in 4 get
the title of "Tier 1". If they participate in the testing but don't have the
ability to fix all the bugs before the release (but soon after with a few
patches), they are "Tier 2".