[Development] Qt5 missing features

Christoph Feck christoph at maxiom.de
Wed Apr 11 01:20:52 CEST 2012

On Monday 09 April 2012 20:02:49 BogDan wrote:
>  First and foremost congrats for Qt5 alpha release, it is great to
> see Qt moving forward.
> [...]
> IMHO both QML and classic widgets should use a single theme manager
> to draw the widgets, of course every single platform should be able
> to create its own implementation.
> [...]
> IMHO these features are too important to miss the opportunity to
> include them in Qt5.0.
> Kindly please consider to include these features in final Qt5.0, I
> don't know if it will be a second chance to include them without
> any compromise, without not worry about API/ABI compatibility.

I do not see a need to rush here.

Remember the Qt 4.0 release? It did not support SVG, had no CSS-like
stylesheets for widgets, did not have any animation features besides
QMovie (animated GIFs FTW), there was no QDBus, no audio support
besides QSound, no nothing. Still, several years later, we have a
rocking Qt 4.8, which is still API and ABI compatible to Qt 4.0.

Instead of rushing half-baked APIs, the 5.0 release should be a solid
base from which new and well designed APIs can be launched. The less
APIs are included into 5.0, the lower the frustation will be when it
is later discovered that they are ill-designed.

--
Christoph Feck
http://kdepepo.wordpress.com/