[Development] Qt5 missing features

BogDan bog_dan_ro at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 11 09:57:59 CEST 2012

Hi Girish,

  I know that almost all QPA API are internal, I'm using them from the

very begging :) !

   The problem is sometime if you want to create a clean API you also

must to change other APIs which are public. Let me give you an example

for better understanding. The QMenu subclass QWidget class, so you

can use QWidget::show() method to show the menu, the problem is that

method is not virtual and can not be overwritten in QMenu. Why I want to

overwrite it? Because I don't want to show the QMenu widget on Android,
I want to use Android's native menu system, this means that show method

must be changed to virtual, but I'm afraid that you can not do it after the
API/ABI is labeled as stable. Qt 5.0 will guarantee the  API/ABI stability for
the entire life of Qt 5.x meaning that the next chance to do these changes
will be 5-10 years from now!

Cheers,
BogDan.