[Development] Towards a Qt 5 beta

Robin Burchell robin+qt at viroteck.net
Wed Apr 11 23:03:51 CEST 2012

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 2:49 PM,  <lars.knoll at nokia.com> wrote:
> We are now done with new feature development and changes to our API. I
> will merge the api_changes branch that contains the remaining changes to
> our api back to master by the end of this week, and close the branch after
> that.

I wonder: you imply that breaking binary compatibility "in a
controlled way" (by controlling when we stage) is fine - but then why
not keep the branch open for exactly that, and have those controlled
merges 1-2 times a week, and not impede staging? People who need
compile stability can use master (and rebuild once a week), people who
don't mind rebuilding every pull can stick with api_changes, I mean. I
was actually initially a bit sceptical, but I don't think it's worked
all that badly as a model, aside from the extended period without a
merge due to the alpha...