[Development] Qt5 missing features

Lincoln Ramsay lincoln.ramsay at nokia.com
Thu Apr 12 03:28:43 CEST 2012

On 04/12/2012 11:00 AM, ext Alan Alpert wrote:
> One thing I don't understand in this discussion is this theme manager concept
> (like QStyle).
> Why exactly do we need this level of indirection

Because of this:

import Widgets 1.0

As opposed to this:

//import MeeGoWidgets 1.0
//import SymbianWidgets 1.0
import DesktopWidgets 1.0

If there was a "standard API" defined for a "components" and each
platform provided something that was source-compatible with this API
then that would work too (without indirection) but I haven't seen anyone
suggesting that a platform's "components" should adhere to some
"standard API".

People are coming at this from a "one source, multiple targets"
viewpoint, which clashes with QML's "one source, one target" design. I
suspect that people do not want to maintain otherwise
virtually-identical .qml files for each target platform just because the
components have a different import, or a different name for an element.

--
Lincoln Ramsay - Senior Software Engineer
Qt Development Frameworks, Nokia - http://qt.nokia.com/