[Development] Towards a Qt 5 beta: Documentation

Olivier Goffart olivier at woboq.com
Thu Apr 12 16:09:38 CEST 2012

On Thursday 12 April 2012 15:35:45 André Somers wrote:
> Op 12-4-2012 15:12, casper.vandonderen at nokia.com schreef:
> > Modularizing the documentation is a process that will move a lot of files
> > around and make some things impossible.
> > The biggest consequence will be that we will have the same dependency
> > chain as when compiling the modules.
> > E.g. not allow circular dependencies in the documentation. Therefore there
> > can be no links from the QtGui documentation to any class in QtWidgets,
> > from QtWidgets to QtGui will work, since Widgets depends on Gui.
> > This will also automatically break "Inherited by:" between classes in
> > separate modules in the documentation.
>
> While I understand the reasoning, I am not sure the limitations above
> are acceptable. At least, if I understand you correctly.
>
> I think that loosing all the cross links and all the inherited-by links
> that span modules is unaceptable. For instance, you would no longer be
> able to see relations between some major classes, like QObject ->
> QWidget. You'd only be able to see QWidget -> QObject. These kinds of
> links are not something that does not happen. The QObject docs are a
> good example of that, as they actually reference QWidget. Personally, I
> also regulary use the Inherited by list. I would hate to see that go.
>
> I don't have a solution ready though.

I also don't like it. What is the benefit of doing that? what went wrong with
make docs?

Also, you seem to use the "Module" terminology to refer to library (QtCore,
QtGui, ...) within qtbase.  But some other people may refer to "Module" for
the repositoies (qtbase, qtdeclarative, qtscript, ...).
This is a bit confusing, please clarify.