[Development] Towards a Qt 5 beta: Documentation

casper.vandonderen at nokia.com casper.vandonderen at nokia.com
Thu Apr 12 19:27:42 CEST 2012

>> There are 2 main problems with the current system:
>> 1. Nobody was running "make docs" on their local machines (and verifying the
>> output). There are qdoc errors that were put in by developers last
>> December. Having the documentation modularized will at some point
>> (hopefully soon) allow us to put documentation generation in the CI system.
>> This would allow us to catch patches causing qdoc errors.
>> 2. It was/is completely unclear how the system works, there hasn't been any
>> QML documentation at http://doc-snapshot.qt-project.org/5.0/ for multiple
>> weeks now (I believe 4, maybe more).
>
> But none of those problem will be fixed by modularizing the docs by libraries.
> Or am i missing something?
>

> (putting make docs in the CI is a good idea)

The CI system the documentation will be built per repository, that is true, but there might be users who only want to build a specific set of libraries with documentation and the extra step of granularity will not make a difference (in my opinion), since the only difference would be a few extra qdocconf files and make targets.

I also think that adding the documentation build closer to the source build (we could add the "make corelib-docs" target to corelib.pro) will make the whole system more transparent and (psychologically) easier to use.

Casper