[Development] api changes

Girish Ramakrishnan girish at forwardbias.in
Fri Apr 13 19:27:38 CEST 2012

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 10:18 AM, Samuel Rødal <samuel.rodal at nokia.com> wrote:
> On 04/13/2012 07:08 PM, ext Girish Ramakrishnan wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I am going through all the new apis. I have a couple of more changes
>> to the public apis already. I am not submitting them to api_changes
>> branch. I think Lars and co are having enough trouble as-is with
>> getting api_changes to merge to master :-) All the commits will have
>> the "api:" prefix in the commit message (so it's easy to see on my
>> dashboard). I will stage them only after api_changes is merged.
>>
>> My current understanding of the "qpa" plan is this, correct me if I am wrong:
>> 1. Files with _qpa in them are supposed to be used by plugins and
>> plugins only. If you see, _qpa.h being used in application code, they
>> are using a binary and source incompatible Qt. _qpa.h also lacks the
>> 'we mean it' header which I will add.
>
> Mostly, though I guess an application might use QPlatformNativeInterface
> to get access to a platform specific resource (such as the X display or
> the wayland display or window handles etc). Maybe we'll need to make a
> public API front-end for that down the line.

OK, I can add api in the appropriate classes. For example,
nativeResourceForBackingStore goes as QBackingStore::nativeResource
etc.

Do we want this for Qt5.0? I think we do, this is very important for
userland especially KDE. Since this is new api, there is no fear to
breakage to existing code.

Girish