[Development] Fixing the DLL/shared/static mess

Uwe Rathmann Uwe.Rathmann at tigertal.de
Sun Apr 15 12:35:08 CEST 2012

Hi Thiago,

my interest is of course to benefit as much as possible from the ideas
and solutions of the Qt development
and I believe the best way should be to organize my code and build
environment like Qt libraries do.

So please let me check your list what might be possible for Qwt:

> 1) where they are installed

I wouldn't install Qwt into the same place where Qt is, because it works
with different binary compatible installations of Qt.
But of course it would be possible to do so for the same reasons you do
it with a module like Qt SVG.

> 2) whether they use qt_module_config.prf or equivalent or a future replacement

I'm not sure if this would be possible for code outside the Qt source tree ?

> 3) whether they follow Qt conding conventions -- including headers and macros
> to be used, like QT_STATIC

I have the same code base for Qt4 and Qt5 ( like the creator ) what
might require some extra ifdefs, but in general it should be possible -
as long as I'm aware of existing conventions.

> 4) library and API naming

similar to 4.

> 5) development workflow and other Qt Project rules

I don't believe, that I could develop in the same release cycles as the
Qt library itself ( f.e I have no idea yet what it means to adopt Qwt to
QML )

The only reason why I'm doing the Qwt project for such a long time ( >
10 years ) is because I only do it when I like to.
If I had to sit down after my daily job only to keep schedules I would
have given up long ago.

But I guess this is similar for every project not sponsored by a company
- what might happen to Qt some day too.

> All Qt libraries are first-party: they come from the Qt Project.

Do you believe it would make sense to develop a 3rd party library under
the hood of Qt Project ?

Uwe