[Development] Fixing the DLL/shared/static mess

Stephen Kelly stephen.kelly at kdab.com
Mon Apr 16 00:44:22 CEST 2012

On Sunday, April 15, 2012 19:30:55 Thiago Macieira wrote:

> > > THIS IS A PROPOSAL
> > >
> > > A static-and-shared build of Qt is currently not supported. There
> > > are no plans to accomplish this with the current buildsystem in one
> > > build.>
> > Hmm, when I worked on the CMake buildsystem files, I thought
> > static-and-shared was the default on Mac (or maybe it was Windows), or I
> > had to support it for that reason. Has that changed or am I
> > imagining/misremembering it?
>
> You may be confusing static-and-shared with debug-and-release. That's the
> default on Mac and Windows.

Yes, you are correct.

> Static and shared in one build has never been supported.

But you want to make it supported in one package? Has that been possible
before?

> It's far more likely that CMake and other buildsystems can accomplish this,
> even if qmake can't. In order to do that, we need to have a sane qconfig.h
> and export macros. That's what this proposal is about.

Right. I might have to have another closer look at the proposal tomorrow then.
A solution that works for qmake can probably be adapted anyway, as you note.

Thanks,

--
Stephen Kelly <stephen.kelly at kdab.com> | Software Engineer