[Development] api changes

Stephen Kelly stephen.kelly at kdab.com
Mon Apr 16 01:33:31 CEST 2012

On Sunday, April 15, 2012 20:03:38 Thiago Macieira wrote:

> > > KDE needs to be ported away from it anyway. It cannot depend on X11
> > > specifics.  Use a more cross-platform solution.
> >
> > I'm not convinced that's going to happen... I think I was trying to push
> > for it and got resistance. I didn't find an email record of that, so it
> > may have been on IRC.
>
> If KDE code depends on QX11Info, it's never going to be ported away from
> X11.
>
> The only applications that should do that are the workspace fixture ones:
> kwin and plasma.

Yes, those are the ones that were brought up, together with the KWindowSystem
class. Apart from those I don't think KDE uses X11, but even KWindowSystem
might be partially obsoleted by QPA (there is a task to figure that out, but
no one has taken it up yet).

QX11Info is used in many places (including some widgets), and perhaps some
places where it shouldn't be used, but it's still a porting burden even to
figure out how to port the stuff (It's not clear to me how to, and the changes
file doesn't even note that the class is removed).

kf5{frameworks}$ grep -roh "QX11Info::[^\)]*)" * | sort | uniq
QX11Info::appDpiX( int )
QX11Info::appDpiY( int )
QX11Info::appRootWindow()
QX11Info::appRootWindow( screen_P )