[Development] QPlatformInputContext needs more informations

Pekka Vuorela pekka.ta.vuorela at nokia.com
Mon Apr 16 11:57:41 CEST 2012

On Mon, 2012-04-16 at 01:17 -0700, ext BogDan wrote:
> > From: Samuel Rødal <samuel.rodal at nokia.com>

> >>  In order to be sure the user sees the entire control and its content I need
> > to know
> >>  the control position and its size, otherwise the virtual keyboard may cover
> > the
> >>  control and its content.
> >
> > Isn't that what QPlatformInputContext::keyboardRect() is for?
> >

> On Android platform the keyboard rect is unknown, because is an external service.
> The only way to be sure the user will see the entire control and its content,
> is to create a dummy transparent Android native widget in the same position and
> with the same size as the qt control, I pass that widget to the keyboard service,
> then the Android window manager will do the magic for me, it will pan the screen or
> it will resize it if necessary.
> Please check the video I posted on youtube [1].

On Meego, at least, the panning and resizing has been made application's
responsibility. That's why the keyboard rectangle is available and not
the other way around

I don't know the Android interfaces, but would it be then possible to
infer keyboard size by creating a transparent fullscreen native widget
and seeing how much the window manager resizes it?