[Development] api changes

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Apr 17 01:15:59 CEST 2012

On segunda-feira, 16 de abril de 2012 21.31.52, Fredrik Höglund wrote:
> On Monday 16 April 2012, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > On segunda-feira, 16 de abril de 2012 00.02.21, Stephen Kelly wrote:
> > > Can you point me to it? Does it contain a equivalent
> > > API to QX11Info (the removal of this class is a problem for KDE which
> > > doesn't have a solution yet).
> >
> > KDE needs to be ported away from it anyway. It cannot depend on X11
> > specifics. Use a more cross-platform solution.
>
> Could you provide some examples of where KDE is using QX11Info and
> explain how you would rewrite that code in a cross-platform way
> instead?

If all it needs are information about screen sizes, DPI, etc., then there
should be a cross-platform API to do that.

If it needs concepts that aren't cross-platform, it should be reassessed, to
see if an X11 dependency is intentional or not. Maybe the code is using that
concept simply because the author didn't know he couldn't or of a better way.

The access to screen() and display() may indicate a missing Qt API, which we
may be able to add. If the X11 dependency was intentional, it can be ported to
QPlatformNativeInterface, to obtain the XCB pointers.