[Development] Choosing a new MinGW for Qt/Qt Creator/Qt SDK

daniel.molkentin at nokia.com daniel.molkentin at nokia.com
Thu Apr 19 20:15:31 CEST 2012

Hi Everyone,

After several complains from the community that GCC 4.4 shipped with both Creator and the Qt SDK is fairly outdated (and not C++11 compliant), we are going to ship a mingw.org-based GCC 4.6.2 with the next Qt Creator release. Even though we verified that this works with the MinGW 4.4 compiled Qt releases from the Qt SDK, I think we should agree on a common version. Thus, I want to come to an agreement with all relevant stakeholders in the Qt  Project on which MinGW to ship.

>From my POV, the following things are important when choosing a "proper" MinGW-based compiler:

-          Prefer existing MinGW distros* over compiling & maintaining MinGW ourselves (although others may disagree here)

-          Make sure they are minimal and centered around C/C++ development (i.e. no elaborate gjc cruft like we still have in our current MinGW 4.4 packages)

-          Make sure we pick a distro that provides regular updates and provides new GCC versions in a timely manner

-          Let's ship both a 64 and a 32 bit version, and ideally ones that provide a cross-compiler respectively

-          Let's make sure we start providing them at the same time, and we start building our products with them

Marius found http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingwbuilds/files/, which seems to satisfy all of the above. Other suggestions/preferences are welcome.

If deemed necessary, we can also build our own MinGW distro via Qt Project's public build infrastructure (http://builds.qt-project.org). We need good build recipes for that, though, and someone who is willing to maintain them.

Cheers,
  Daniel

*) by "Distro" I mean different entities compiling & providing MinGW releases such as MinGW.org, TDM, etc