[Development] Choosing a new MinGW for Qt/Qt Creator/Qt SDK

andy fillebrown andy.fillebrown at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 11:12:38 CEST 2012

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 2:01 AM, André Pönitz
<andre.poenitz at mathematik.tu-chemnitz.de> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 10:34:21PM -0400, andy fillebrown wrote:
>> I would add to the "proper compiler" list the ability to set debug
>> breakpoints quickly and proper display of call stacks across .dll
>> boundaries.  IMO those are the two things that bug me the most about
>> the "distros" already mentioned.  Waiting 2+ minutes for the debugger
>> to start, and then not being able to see a complete callstack, is
>> frustrating.  So much so that I find myself going back to Qt's GCC 4.4
>> release.
>
> Does that mean you have experience with both the 4.4 version
> that's currently distributed, and the version from
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingwbuilds/files/
> and you found the latter lacking?
>
> Startup time should be mostly related to gdb, less so to the
> debug information gcc creates...

Yes, I have experience with many versions and I have always reverted
back to qt's gcc 4.4 release due to the issues with gdb.  I'm trying
out the gcc 4.7.0 version from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingwbuilds/files right now.  I'll let
you know if I find it lacking, too.

I realize there is a distinction between gcc and gdb, but since gdb is
included in the distro I thought I'd bring up the issues I've had,
seeing that the gdb from the distro might be the gdb included in the
Qt SDK.

Cheers,
~ andy.f