[Development] QString::fromAscii & toAscii's future

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Apr 24 16:56:50 CEST 2012

On terça-feira, 24 de abril de 2012 07.33.41, BRM wrote:
> Question: is there are reason not to support the US-Extended ASCII
> (128-255)? I know it's not used often, but sometimes those characters are
> very useful.

There's no such encoding.

"The use of the term is sometimes criticized, because it can be mistakenly
interpreted that the ASCII standard has been updated to include more than 128
characters or that the term unambiguously identifies a single encoding, both of
which are untrue" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_ascii

You have to tell me what you want me to do with those bytes. They can be:

 1) rejected and replaced with U+FFFD (replacement character)
 2) copied with the high bit discarded
 3) copied as-is, which means doing exactly the same as fromLatin1
 4) something else

What are you suggesting?