[Development] QString::fromAscii & toAscii's future

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Apr 24 18:34:56 CEST 2012

On terça-feira, 24 de abril de 2012 15.01.15, kai.koehne at nokia.com wrote:
> There's no use in 'fixing' fromAscii(), toAscii() if we're deprecating it
> anyway (which I support). So just let it be a synonym to fromLatin1(),
> toLatin1(), which it was by default anyway in Qt4.

Right, that's the minimal work solution: just mark it as deprecated and don't
change the implementation. Well, minimal work for fromAscii -- the rest of the
code using it needs to be updated to fromUtf8().

Since it does work properly as "from ASCII", if we choose later that we want
it, we can un-deprecate it.