[Development] Deprecation warnings are enabled

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Mon Apr 30 20:43:15 CEST 2012

On segunda-feira, 30 de abril de 2012 17.57.46, bradley.hughes at nokia.com
wrote:
> When faced with two options, 1) fix deprecated warnings or 2) continue work
> to restore Qt 4 behavior in the platform plugins, I'm going to say we
> should be doing 2) and not do 1) at all (since there will be disruptions
> and distractions because of it).

Of course. It doesn't have to be you. I'm hoping that someone will, though.

Fixing deprecation warnings is usually a task that many new-comer contributors
can do and would be a great way for them to gain experience in developing Qt.

> > I'm acting on the belief that this is a beta-blocker task. If it is and
> > you
> > need more time, then we may have to delay the beta too. Or, I am mistaken
> > and it is not a beta-blocker.
>
> I've always been under the impression that the desktop platform plugins
> won't block any release. The state they are in at release time is the state
> they are in… we will be constantly fixing and implementing both up to and
> and well beyond the 5.0 release. Postponing isn't feasible because it's
> impossible to say how much time is left.

Indeed. Though I expect that we will only release if we have something we can
be proud of. A brown-paper bag release that just inflames even more the
community will do us no good. That's a subjective determination though.

Still, I meant my own task: since these are API-level considerations, I was
and still am under the impression that they are needed by beta time.

> Summing up, this is what I'm afraid of: we're going to end up wasting a lot
> of time fixing things that are in the way, not because they are important
> right now (note that I'm not saying they are unimportant altogether, just
> that there other things trump them).

Though it has just occurred to me that we have a way to accomplish both of our
objectives:

it's possible to make the Qt API clean for users by the beta release, yet not
affect much of our internals. All I need to do is change the default in
qglobal.h, like I've done, but ensure that all of Qt, including examples, is
still compiled with 4.9 API.