[Development] Deprecation warnings are enabled

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Mon Apr 30 22:13:54 CEST 2012

On segunda-feira, 30 de abril de 2012 19.00.31, bradley.hughes at nokia.com
wrote:
> But you're missing my point. I don't think anyone should be doing them. I
> don't think now is the time to have a lot of "low-hanging fruit" changes
> being pushed into to all the modules.

See below.

> The amount of changes going into Qt 5 is certainly enough to be proud of,
> but there will be feature and behavior regressions on the desktop
> platforms, there's no avoiding that.  We want to close that gap as much as
> possible, but disruptions will slow us down.

I understand that. I don't think the community does, but they can be made
understand it. How much we can have in terms of regression is a subjective
decision, and one we will have to look into when we're closer to the release.

> > Still, I meant my own task: since these are API-level considerations, I
> > was
> > and still am under the impression that they are needed by beta time.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by this.

This is what answers the "now" part. The changes I'm making, like the QRegExp
one and these deprecation settings, are changing the API that we expose to
users. As such, I understand that they need to be done, ready and tested by
the beta release.

Because of that, the QRegExp change could not be postponed. Hence, even though
fixing them might be low-hanging fruit, they are nevertheless necessary.

> > it's possible to make the Qt API clean for users by the beta release, yet
> > not affect much of our internals. All I need to do is change the default
> > in qglobal.h, like I've done, but ensure that all of Qt, including
> > examples, is still compiled with 4.9 API.
>
> This option might work, but again I have to ask: why do anything at all?
> Doing nothing and keeping things as-is is an option as well, is it not? Why
> add entropy to the system?

Again, because having a proper API that we won't change much afterwards is the
point of the beta.

If we can't have that, then we don't have a beta. We have a second alpha.