[Development] Color Profile support on Qt

Olivier Goffart olivier at woboq.com
Thu Aug 2 10:31:59 CEST 2012

On Thursday 02 August 2012 10:03:15 Paul Olav Tvete wrote:
> On Thursday 02 August 2012 07:53:25 ext gunnar.sletta at nokia.com wrote:
> > On Aug 1, 2012, at 6:37 PM, ext Stephen Kelly wrote:
> > > Hi there,
> > >
> > > Given that https://codereview.qt-project.org/#change,31387 has been
> > > merged, can you post any more information that will last until the
> > > QColorProfile class can be implemented? Any ideas on API or
> > > implementation?
> >
> > Alexandros, I would prefer that you reverted that change. It makes little
> > sense to introduce it without the actual color profiles, and the
> > constructor can be added in 5.1 as an overload in a binary compatible
> > manner, so no need in rushing it.
>
> I was part of that API discussion when you were away, Gunnar, so I'll chime
> in with my argument for doing it this way: If we do it in 5.1, we have to
> add 6 new constructors to QImage, in addition to the 10 existing ones. That
> will not make the documentation any more readable.

If that's only a documentation problem, we can workaround that with some macro
magic.

Should that even go in the constructor? Maybe QImage::setColorProfile.
(Remember http://qt-project.org/wiki/API-Design-
Principles#53794b5430e64e80ea10c4e2ecd4556f

On the other side, if we add it now, and realize this should not be pointer,
or should not be even in QImage. Then it is too late to change.

> I'll let Alexandros answer the rest of the questions, but will just note
> that he has a complete and fairly polished implementation that he is ready
> to publish.

That's great to know.  But we don't know if the API or the implementation is
good yet.

--
Olivier

Woboq - Qt services and support - http://woboq.com