[Development] Qt Essentials

Aaron McCarthy aaron.mccarthy at nokia.com
Mon Aug 6 08:31:40 CEST 2012

Hi,

> as one of the first consequences of the situation in Brisbane, I'd like to
> do some changes to our list of essential modules. You can see the current
> list at http://qt-project.org/wiki/Qt-Essentials-Modules .
>
> I intend to move both Qt 3D and Qt Location out of the essentials list and
> make them add-ons for now. They are fully usable as-is today, but with the
> situation down-under I am currently unsure how well we can maintain and
> develop them going forward. If things turn out well, we can still move
> them into the Essentials list in a 5.1 or 5.x release.

I agree that Qt Location should be dropped from the essentials list and become
an add-on.  It is an essential because location based services are one of the
hot things at the moment and it does not include any platform specific code
(excluding positioning, which is not critical to support most of Qt Locations
use cases).

My understanding is that Qt3D was pulled in as an essential because of Qt
Location.  I don't know if there were any other reasons for it to have
essential status.  I have no opinion on whether it should remain so.

As an add-on should Qt Location be moved out of the global namespace and into
its own like other Qt add-ons?  I know former Qt4 modules are exempt from this
rule, but what about former Qt Mobility modules or former Qt 5 essential
modules :( ?

Cheers,

--
Aaron McCarthy, Software Engineer