[Development] Setting up time-based releases for the project

Sven Anderson Sven.Anderson at snom.com
Tue Aug 7 11:32:16 CEST 2012

Hi,

On 07.08.2012 01:12, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On terça-feira, 7 de agosto de 2012 01.00.54, Olivier Goffart wrote:
>>   ---+--------------------------+---------------------- fire-hose
>>     / \  /   /   /  /  /  /  / / \  /  /  /  /  /  /
>>   --+  +-----+--------+--------+  +-----+--------+---- leaky-faucet
>>    / \  / / / \  / / / \ / /  / \  / / / \ /  / / \
>>   -+  +-----+  +-----+  +-----+  +-----+  +-----+  +- dripping-bucket
>>     \        \        \        \        \        \
>>      5.0.1    5.0.2    5.1.0    5.1.1    5.1.2    5.2.0
>
> I think you're missing the dashes between 5.0.1 and 5.0.2.
>
> dripping-bucket is a rolling branch. To make it fast-forward from one release
> to the next, it needs to merge them.

What exactly is the advantage of having "rolling branches" for the
different stability levels compared to the "specialized" branches for
each level of version number. Wouldn't it have the same effect but
clearer semantics if you have a single rolling branch which maintains
something like alpha level quality, and from that you create a 5.X
branch that _targets_ beta quality, and after it reached it you start
creating 5.X.Y branches that target release quality. 5.X+1 is created,
when the last 5.X.Y has been created and 5.X therefore is dead. This way
you also have exactly 3 active branches at each time and should be
isomorph to the solution with three continuously rolling branches, but
easier to understand in my eyes.

This might sound more complicated on the first view, but note that also
leaky-faucet and dripping-bucket would have different quality states
right after the down-merges until it stabilizes to the targeted quality
level. This change in quality of the branches is not very transparent
from the model, which incorrectly suggests that each rolling branch has
a constant quality level. That's why I would go for specialized branches
which more obviously traverse different levels of quality. Or more
generalized: I would prefer a model, that focuses on quality
_transitions_ rather than quality _levels_, because that's what it's all
about, right? But maybe I'm missing an important aspect.

Sven

  *   Join our Partner program: http://www.snom.com/partner<http://www.snom.com/partners>
  *   Subscribe to our snom support RSS Feed<http://wiki.snom.com/wiki/index.php?title=RSS&action=feed&feed=rss> and get first-hand technical news about snom products, e.g. Firmware updates, FAQ updates, troubleshooting hints, etc.

Follow us on Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/snom.VoIP.phones>, Twitter<http://twitter.com/snom>, YouTube<http://www.youtube.com/user/snomvoip>, Linkedin<http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=1773766>

Sitz/Domicile: Charlottenstr. 68-71, 10117 Berlin, Germany
Handelsregistereintrag/Register of Corporations entry: Berlin-Charlottenburg HRB 61842 B
Vorstand/Executive Board: Dr. Michael Knieling, Usman Tahir, Alexander Khan
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates/Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Stefan Friese

snom technology AG<http://www.snom.com>