[Development] Two bugs in the QIcon which broke my life.

marius.storm-olsen at nokia.com marius.storm-olsen at nokia.com
Wed Aug 8 12:43:21 CEST 2012

On 08/08/2012 04:12, ext André Somers wrote:
> Op 8-8-2012 10:49, Stephen Kelly schreef:
>> >
>> > Nice, but these patches were submitted way before Gerrit was available.
>> > Are you saying we should just disgard any fixes that can be found in
>> JIRA?
>>
>> They are not covered by the CLA.
>>
> Are you sure about that?

Yes, Stephen is correct, the CLA covers only patches which has been
submitted through Codereview.qt-project.org, so patches in
Jira/Wiki/email cannot be applied.

Even if the author "gives" you copyright to submit it to codereview as
yourself (which is not allowed in many countries), _you_ would then be
personally responsible for granting the license to use any patents
his/her code might be infringing on. So, *don't* do that. Only submit
code you have written yourself and where you can stand by the
implementation.

>> Whether they are 'trivial' enough to 'not be copyrightable' isn't
>> for me to decide. I didn't look at them.
>>
>> Even when gerrit was not available, gitorious was available for all
>>  the time that JIRA was available. JIRA has never been 'the way to
>>  submit patches'.
>
> One of these had a MR on gitorious, actually. That got closed some
> time later because Gerrit got introduced in the meantime. So, I bet
> the contributor signed the agreement. I guess the submitter did not
> want to jump through the hoops again, in the hope that this time his
> patch *would* get accepted.

A codereview can be done without using Gerrit of course, through email,
IRC or any other means which reaches the author. However, the CLA has
changed in several points since the Gitorious MR days (to the better,
after discussions with multiple parties active on codereview today).
This means that the old patches which were stuck or hadn't passed
through the Gitorious MR system before we switched will need to be
submitted again under the new terms.

Frankly, the hurdle for doing so is not big, and if you have agreed to
the terms before, I'm sure the new term as just as good as the previous
ones.

To reiterate what Stephen said, please submit patches through
http://codereview.qt-project.org, it's the only way we can properly
apply them.

--
.marius