[Development] [Interest] Qt5 - my hopes for when the dust settles...

gunnar.sletta at nokia.com gunnar.sletta at nokia.com
Thu Aug 16 13:38:46 CEST 2012

On Aug 16, 2012, at 1:07 PM, ext Thiago Macieira wrote:

> On quinta-feira, 16 de agosto de 2012 10.54.30, Mark Summerfield wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> - A full C++ API for all the things that currently can only be done
>>  using QML/JavaScript so that everything can be programmed purely in
>>  C++ (or purely in whatever language you have bindings for).
>
> Hi Mark
>
> This is one controversial feature. I only agree partially with what you're
> asking for. I think that the building blocks that Qt Quick uses should be
> available from C++. That is, I want access to the OpenGL Scene Graph, so I'm
> able to add my own elements and build my own scene on top of them.

You have access to the scene graph already:

http://doc-snapshot.qt-project.org/5.0/qquickitem.html#updatePaintNode
http://doc-snapshot.qt-project.org/5.0/qsgnode.html
http://doc-snapshot.qt-project.org/5.0/qsggeometry.html
http://doc-snapshot.qt-project.org/5.0/qsgsimplematerialshader.html
http://doc-snapshot.qt-project.org/5.0/qsgmaterial.html

It is a low-level API (and rightly so), but it is there and very much usable.

Things on my mind that we could add in the future:
 - glyph nodes, to support text directly from C++
 - public API for the renderer, so rendering sub graphs in user API is possible.
But lets get Qt 5.0 out first...

cheers,
GUnnar