[Development] Cross compiling Qt 5

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Thu Aug 23 10:05:11 CEST 2012

On quinta-feira, 23 de agosto de 2012 01.40.00, Holger Hans Peter Freyther >
In fact in Yocto/Poky we are using a custom mkspec that allows us to target
> 7 different CPU architectures. I would be very happy if Qt would use
> autoconf (and pkg-config) for the configuration step on Unix/Posix (it
> supports injecting test results, has support for cross compilation, writes
> a detailed log file).

Hmm...

I'd like to see us use pkg-config more often, but I can't think of places where
we need to use it but don't. There are certain, older libraries we use (zlib,
libjpeg, libtiff, etc.) that we find without pkg-config, but that's because they
didn't all have pkg-config support in the past.

As for using autoconf, please no. Compatibility with autoconf is welcome, but
using autoconf itself is a step backwards.

> > > Here a proposal:
> > >   1. -target-mkspec  : specify mkspec name
> > >   2. -target         : specify toolchain prefix
> >
> > -toolchain-prefix sounds much more appropriate than -target (which to me
> > means the target hardware platform)
>
> Follow autoconf here. Use the GNU triplet for the host and target compiler.

Yes.

Make out configure work with the exact same autoconf-style options that would
be used for cross-compiling, including the setting of the compiler name if
necessary.

Though I'm also particular about --sysroot. I like having one option that sets
the pkg-config, C, C++ and linker flags in one go.