[Development] Change / clarification to Maintainer's commit privilege

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Thu Aug 23 16:14:25 CEST 2012

Hello

I'd like to offer the a clarification and request one change to the commit
policy regarding the maintainer's privilege. See
	http://qt-project.org/wiki/Commit_Policy (point 12)
	http://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/development/2012-April/002930.html

The policy says:
12.1 Maintainer privilege: A maintainer may approve his own change to the code
he maintains if
 - at least one review (+1) from somebody else is present, and
 - nobody else who could approve (+2) the change can be produced within
reasonable time

I'd like a clarification that a Maintainer should not override -1 comments
without addressing them and giving the commenter time to react within
reasonable time.

And that reasonable time is several days, preferably over a week. (From
experience, I sometimes only have time to drain my backlog of review requests
during the weekend)

Finally, I'd also like to ask a change, that a Maintainer may self-approve a
change even if there are no +1s at all, provided that there are no -1s either,
and provided that the Maintainer post to the mailing list asking about it and
there are still no positive reviews after reasonable time.