[Development] Scenegraph project in Playground?

lars.knoll at nokia.com lars.knoll at nokia.com
Thu Aug 23 22:14:11 CEST 2012

On Aug 23, 2012, at 4:33 PM, ext Laszlo Papp <lpapp at kde.org<mailto:lpapp at kde.org>> wrote:

Hi Gunnar,

Thank you for your explanation.

I have a question and a comment about the procedure in general:

1) Self-approval accepted from a Maintainer for a playground project? The description here does not mention that, and I am unsure what the default is. :-)

http://qt-project.org/wiki/Creating-a-new-module-or-tool-for-Qt#6a17de784cf6db9124e9844959ec8ace

"4. Get approval from one Qt maintainer for your new playground project on the mailing list"

Actually Gunnar talked with me about it, so it's not really self-approved :)

2) Perhaps the responsible people, creating the playground projects, could be made aware of the "official procedure" so they forward the requests without prior mailing list discussion to here:

"5. After a Qt maintainer has confirmed the approval, create a task in the Qt Project bug tracker (QTQAINFRA project, Gerrit component) requesting a new Gerrit project for you. Refer to the mailing list archives for the approval from a Qt Maintainer"

Yes, there should have been a mail to the list about it, if only to document it. We'll need to try to be better with this in the future.

Cheers,
Lars

Laszlo

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 11:49 AM, <gunnar.sletta at nokia.com<mailto:gunnar.sletta at nokia.com>> wrote:

On Aug 15, 2012, at 11:50 AM, ext Laszlo Papp wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have just come across a change on gerrit:
> https://codereview.qt-project.org/#change,32778
>
> Perhaps, it is just me, but I have not seen the request for this project going through the mailing list. There is only a post in here:
> http://labs.qt.nokia.com/2012/08/01/scene-graph-adaptation-layer/
>
> Could someone please point me to the mailing list discussion about this, or amend the steps that should be done for a new request according to the previous agreement and the "official" procedure?
> http://qt-project.org/wiki/Creating-a-new-module-or-tool-for-Qt#6a17de784cf6db9124e9844959ec8ace
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Laszlo

Hi Laszlo,

There wasn't any discussion in the public about this. I thought the blog about its existence would be enough. I should have sent a mail also. Sorry about that.

The repo contains code that was developed in-house in Nokia that we wanted to release to the public and it didn't fit into any specific repository, and a scene graph playground to work on new, independent, ideas is anyway a good thing.

For now I have been reviewing my own changes, as it is work in progress and very few others are involved. This will of course change if somebody else starts involving themselves or if/when some of these features start moving into the essential Qt modules. That is my long term plan for both the render thread animation system, the renderer and the render loop there.

cheers,
Gunnar