[Development] Build Qt 5 with MinGW 4.7?

Olivier Goffart olivier at woboq.com
Sun Aug 26 14:47:24 CEST 2012

On Sunday 26 August 2012 13:52:28 Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On domingo, 26 de agosto de 2012 13.13.32, Lukas Geyer wrote:
> > You can theoretically create C++11 applications using C++98 Qt
> > libraries. The problem is that GCC C++11 is not fully binary compatible
> > with GCC C++98. But I'm quite sure Thiago can clarify on how this
> > affects Qt binary compatibility.

There are few incompatibilities in the standard library. They are documented
there: http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/Cxx11AbiCompatibility

Fortunately, Qt does not use any of the problematic API. So it should work
without problem: You can safaly develop your application in C++11 and link
against a Qt compiled using C++98 and the other way around.

> That only applies if you use std::string.
>
> So don't use std::string. Qt doesn't.

I'm not aware of any problem with std::string. I don't understand your
comment.  Using std::string should remain safe.

--
Olivier

Woboq - Qt services and support - http://woboq.com